In this blog I want to share some simple tools to improve health, growth and restoration via nervous system regulation and improving vagal tone.
In a prior blog I talked about the autonomic nervous system, and each blog since has built on the next. In my last post, I shared some breathing variations to tap into relaxation and vagus nerve activation.
If you are not sure what the vagus nerve is, I think this article gives a good review of its function.
Exercises to promote vagal tone
- If you want to have a deeper understanding of your Vagus nerve and autonomic nervous system, but don't want to sift through the boring science, Stanley Rosenberg has written a great book "Accessing the Healing Power of the Vagus Nerve: Self Help Exercises for Anxiety, Depression, Trauma and Autism". The video below demonstrates the basic exercise to activate the vagus nerve.
- Jill Miller has many videos on youtube exploring the vagus. Here are a couple that I like:
| || |
- If you want to optimize your health and wellness, check out the website of Restorative Breathing. A few years ago I took a course from Lois Laynee and it was the beginning of my journey into healing my nervous system. Back in July she posted this on her Facebook page: "Do you know the easiest, natural way to balance the autonomic nervous system? Breathing through your nose all night long [as well as during the day]! If you can't breathe through your nose all night long, the brainstem cannot regulate the autonomic nervous system." Something clicked for me, and I got back on the protocol that I learned from her training years ago. In order to keep my mouth closed, every night I tape my mouth shut so my brainstem can settle. Just in these last 3 weeks of taping, I have almost eliminated a constant twitch in under my left eye, I am waking up more rested and I have less stiffness in my feet when I get out of bed.
- Irene Lyon describes herself as a nervous system specialist. She has one of the first online programs for healing the Nervous System: "Tune Up your Nervous System and Rev Up Your Life".
- Connect to the environment using your senses: orienting to bring yourself back into the present, and into your body.